Father's Day Fishing and Other Updates

It has been a little over a month since I have posted on here. Frankly I have been tired, busy, and not fishing much. Sad, I know. But there have been two occasions I can speak of! First, and more recent was on Father's Day. My father, Tim, and I went to Lake Lemon just north of Bloomington and fished an area we like to call 'the tube'. It is a small area of coastline, if you can call it that, that is lined by endless docks. In the center there is a tube connecting the main lake from the smaller lake.

The spot itself is quite diverse with fish species. In the past we have caught crappie, various sunfish species, striped bass, largemouth bass, and some good sized rock bass (the biggest I have come across). This Saturday just before Father's Day saw some decent fishing. My father had some bites and he managed to bring one fish in before it shook itself loose right below the tube where we were standing. I was slightly more successful, catching two rock bass (one of quality size) and two largemouth bass. The biggest catch was a 16 inch largemouth that actually managed to pull my drag a bit. I was surprised and astonished once I got it shore.

Now I am stating 16 inches because the way I am holding it in the picture was how we measured it. The proper way, of course, is closed mouth to flattened tail. It was likely 17 to 18 inches in length. I won't argue one way or another though. The fish had a good girth to it too. It was one of those catches that make a person want to keep fishing until they were tired AND THEN come back the next day and do it all over again. I was pretty proud of myself once I got it in.

So our early Father's Day fishing trip was successful and we both had a good time. That Sunday my father and brother got to go golfing too! A good weekend if I don't say so my self!

---------------------------------------
Sometime prior to Father's Day my girlfriend and I went camping down at her mother's pond north of town. It was good fun! We spent the night fishing, roasting marshmallows, and telling ghost stories (much to my chagrin). The fishing was good though! The pond contains bluegill, largemouth, and possibly some channel catfish (we aren't certain though because channel cats don't reproduce well in farm ponds). I was catching quality 14 and 15 inch bass with a strike king jig and a havoc rubber hog attached. It wasn't exactly fast fishing, but it was somewhat tactical and focused. The way the fish were acting was causing me to have to switch to the jig (which was actually my first time) and precision fish where the bass were splashing near the shoreline. Every time I saw a splash near shore I cast it over to that spot and was usually met with a hard strike at the end of my line. 

For someone who is usually limited to crankbaits and rubber worms, this heavy jig was a big change and something entirely new to my fishing experience. It was quite fun I have to say. I hope to have more success with it. Caitlin, my girlfriend, was able catch a handful of bluegill and bass as well! I think she probably enjoyed spooking me as it got darker though. 

---------------------------------------
Last but not least I, like I expect many Hoosiers are, am praying for rain and an end to this drought. It has caused me to not even fish since early June. My good spot at Yellowwood isn't currently fishable due to the low water. Monroe is low and fish are likely restricted to deeper water. I may try Lake Lemon again sometime.

A tip for any readers right now. It seems as though its rubber worm time more than ever for fishing. That's the only thing I could catch fish on on Father's Day. Give it a try. You may see some positive results! If you do, send me a comment! I'd love to know if it works out for others!

-William

Comments

Popular Reads